“I need help with my marketing. My sales are down.” We hear it often. Upon discovery and analysis we find that many businesses simply don’t want to face the truth: TV is not working. Radio is not working. Newspaper is really not working. Yet, many businesses continue to advertise on, and in, these “interruption-based” mediums. For most relationship-based businesses and many transaction-based businesses this simply is the wrong way to go.
Why? Because research proves that 94% of consumers begin researching their potential purchases on Google. AYTM Market Research.To elaborate:
- 21% always turn to Google first
- 41% usually their first stop
- 18% use Google about half the time
- 14% rarely use Google
So, if we consider the law of large numbers, not being on Google for your most profitable products and services is a bad business decision. How do you get on Google…especially on the first page of the keyword search that is important to your business? Here are a few of the ways:
- Paid search, or pay per click advertising, sometimes called Search Engine Marketing.
- First page Organic Ranking, this is a function of your site’s Search Engine Optimization.
- Press Release. A piece of relevant news about your business or one of its products.
- Whitepaper. Something that would be of interest to your target audience.
- Your Blog. Help your prospects understand your business and its products…blog away.
- Referral. When another person comments about your business or product in its marketing. Priceless!
Does relying on the above seem risky to you? Do you just want to whip out your wallet and buy all of those TV spots (that only 20% of the viewers are seeing) just to make you FEEL like you’re doing the right thing? Inbound Marketing is not for sissies. It takes courage to have the time and patience to build your sales via the new, Inbound Marketing route, but done right, it can lead to great riches.
The author, Bob Ottaway, is President and Founder of Ottaway Digital. Established in 1999, it has been a pioneer in SEO, digital advertising & social media since 2006.